Monday, July 11, 2005

The First Month



The First Month (originally posted on July 14, 2004)

http://www.book-remarks.com/Cydney_Rax.htm





About six weeks have passed since My Daughter's Boyfriend was released. Here are my thoughts, things that have been surprising, what has been pleasing, etc.

The Good Stuff

I think overwhelmingly, the best thing has to be how well My Daughter's Boyfriend has been received. Through a little investigating, I could see that the book is SELLING. People are ordering it, it's in their radar, it's showing up on various bestseller lists (I love that part). Now mind you, it hasn't hit anything like the New York Times, but I am a firm believer that my novels will position themselves on all of these national charts one days. You just gotta have faith and know that if other authors are able to achieve a certain level of success, so can you. I've always believed, but when certain things began to happen, you're still amazed. Happy, in awe, grateful, yet amazed.

The book is in heavy circulation in libraries from the north to the south, east to the west. I think that's important. My goal is for my books to be known and read throughout the world. It's gonna come to pass. And I am grateful for a legion of angels out there, supporters (friends) who call and email to let me know what is happening. I cannot emphasize how important it is to know these things. Stuff like, "I saw someone at a bookstore, and they were buying several books and yours was on top." (Thanks Brian). And people will tell me they know folks that are reading the book and are saying good things, etc. This is the wonderful, terrific, makes me feel good kind of stuff.

BUT THEN AGAIN...

Not every reader likes my book and I have come across a few reviews that indicate that. I am just happy they:

(1) Heard of the book
(2) Bought the book
(3) Finished the book
(4) Posted a review of the book, even if they don't like it
(5) The book stirred all kinds of wild emotions in them - enough for them to even write down their thoughts about something I wrote.

Of course, I love it when someone gets what I do, enjoys and values it. Nothing better than that. But you'll get the other side as well. No problemo. Keep moving on. Life doesn't end. I am not the product of what anyone thinks about me, good or bad. I believe it's what God thinks about you that counts, ultimately, so he is my strength. That's about it.

I've cyber chatted enough for now. And I'm about to go back to sleep...

No comments: